Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What are you, Monk?

One of the first things I do after getting up in the morning, is go into the kitchen (often with Brownie on my heels) and pull the blinds all the way up on the back door. Pooker came in the other day and asked me why in the world I wrenched the blinds all the way up. I told him it was because when I only pull the blinds halfway up, one side hangs quite a bit lower than the other and it bothers me being so off balance. He responded with, "So what are you, Monk?" I laughed because Monk is a TV detective with obsessive-compulsive tendencies.

I thought about it and in some ways, I am a bit like Monk! Mine doesn't tend to do with furnishings or groupings of furnishings or whether a picture is hanging straight on the wall or not (pictures seem to naturally shift a bit), but with things that should be a certain way. Like blinds hanging straight. And like the little ball topper things on my trampoline around the safety net. They all had some breakage on them, but only one had fallen completely off. I went around the other day and removed them all. I couldn't have one not there. It just felt too off balance. Yet, I think I could handle it if at my square dining room table I only had 3 chairs. Or if my pepper shaker broke and I was left with only the salt shaker. Or if none of my dishes matched. But leave my blinds hanging lopsided and I wouldn't be able to get anything else done until they were evened out.

No comments: