Monday, February 4, 2008

Tonight's Sunset





It was such a beautiful day today. The wind was blowing for much of it, but then it stopped in the late afternoon. I was trying to catch the last bit of sun today (before it alledgedly gets cold again tomorrow), when I noticed the sun was setting. I went in and got my camera and snapped pictures of it, as best I could without a clear view of the horizon.


I sat and clicked and watched and rocked until it was totally dark. It was a panorama of clouds and a little bit of color and light. I really enjoyed sitting there and watching the show. God always seems to speak to me through nature and while I was sitting there watching, everything in my life (lack of money, things I need to take care of, my Grandma's heart, etc.) faded and I felt He was with me and that He cares. And for that little while, it was just him and I--me watching the sunset he was painting on the canvas of sky and marveling at what great work he does and him reassuring me of his love and concern.


I had to sing to him. The beauty of the moment just overwhelmed me and I had to tell him how much I loved him (in song). I love it when he puts everything in perspective. I know he is bigger than my problems, but sometimes problems seem bigger than he is. But watching God at work reminds me of the truth--he is in control, no matter what it looks like or how I think it should turn out. He is creating a beautiful work of art out of my life; the good times, the bad times, the hard times. They just give the painting more depth, more relatability, more vibrant color.


As soon as I finish a few other paintings (and take more pictures of sunrises/sunsets--probably more of the latter as I'm not often up to watch the sun rise), I'm going to paint a series of paintings based off the pictures I take. In some small way, I want to reflect his glory in my paintings and hopefully in my life as well.

No comments: