Friday, February 8, 2008

Brownie's Whiskers


I don't know if you already know this or not, or if this is something that happens with all dog's, or maybe just certain dogs. I don't know. I didn't even notice it the first four years we had her. All of a sudden, without a full time job and a little more time on my hands, I saw them on the bed. They were just laying there, without her. By themselves. Little fallen out whiskers.

Not more than one, maybe two at a time, but sitting there waiting for me to notice. I was vacuuming the bed off (a necessity for those who have loveable, snuggly, very hairy bed mates) when I noticed the first one. It was coarse and wiry and as I held it in my hand and studied it, I realized it was a whisker!!

I looked at her muzzle to see where she was missing a whisker, but didn't see any missing. I was amazed by it. I taped that little coarse, wiry, slightly curved down on one end whisker into my journal. And I've continued doing that with ones I've found since. I've in essence replicated her cute little whiskers, like they were on her face, in my journal. I hope you aren't grossed out by that. I don't think it is as gross as keeping bitten off fingernails in a bag for years (like the American Idol hopeful showed us two weeks ago; those yellowed, twisted fingernails).

I never would have known that whiskers are also on a growing cycle, just like the rest of the hair on her body. I guess I could have assumed it because our hairs are on a growing cycle. I just really didn't know and was surprised to find the cute little things. I thought I'd share it, just in case you didn't know or just didn't notice. I just wanted a little physical something to remind me of her presence because her lifespan is shorter than mine. And I found it in her little black (and a few white) whiskers.

No comments: