Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Guy sleeping outside down near the river

One morning mid-summer we ran across this guy sleeping outside. I was a little startled and since he had his back to us, I stared and tried to figure him out. He didn't have a backpack or bag or anything, just himself kind of curled up on his side in the grass. I didn't get a picture of him that morning (as I wasn't sure how asleep he was (or if he was dead) and I felt like he had a right to privacy). We went walking by there the next morning as well and he wasn't there, so I felt pretty confident he wasn't dead.

This is the second time we ran across him. This time, I figured if he was sleeping outside in full view of anyone, he didn't really have a right to privacy. I snapped his picture (but you'll notice it was from behind and from a ways away so if his eyes did pop open, he'd have to turn his head to look at me and I'd just look away like I hadn't just been taking his picture.) It was this time, I noticed that he was just a kid, maybe 17 or 18? He had his shoes off and by his feet and he had a drink near his head. I know it looks nice and comfortable out there in the grass, but it couldn't have been as this is when the temperatures were soaring in the upper 90's and into the 100's. It was hot.

We ran across him again a week later. Curiouser and curiouser as he had on a different shirt. This time, he had a shirt or something else draped across his shoulders, but his shoes were still at his feet and a drink near his head. Still no backpack or anything else.


And we ran into him for a fourth time a week after that. Same type of situation, but this time with a McDonald's drink and sack near his head. It was still hot. I never could figure out what he was doing here. Pooker said he noticed him sometimes when he jogged (and Pooker would jog between 6 and 7 am) and one time he noticed him just coming and laying down. I haven't seen him now for over three weeks, but I still wonder just what was going on in his life that would have him coming down to lay in the grass and sleep by the river.

No comments: