Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July!






We haven't really went anywhere to watch the fireworks for the past few years. Pooker asked me if I wanted to go down to one of the bridges near us and watch from there. I thought that sounded like a good idea, so we headed out at 9:10 pm . There were a lot of people going the same direction we were and there seemed to be a mad dash for the bridge.

As we parked and walked over, we passed many people who looked as if they had been camped out where they were for hours. We ended up walking to the middle of the bridge and were able to find a spot for the two of us to stand at the rail. I spent most of my time trying to take pictures of the fireworks rather than watching them (thinking I'd get some spectacular shots to show me what I'd missed). Instead, my shots (while nice) seem to appear more like weird science type stuff. In my mind, I was picturing more like the fireworks that go off over the castle at Walt Disney World (if you've ever taken a picture of them or seen the postcard). My shots seem to be breaking them down to what shape they make in space. Just a different way of looking at them.

I debated whether or not to put the shot of Pooker and I in (my eyes seem to be fixed on the camera trying to hypnotize it into making me look like I only have one chin--which I do, but boy when the camera captures me with my chin tilted too far down (or is it up?), it isn't pretty). Then I thought I'd just better show you anyway because, while not totally unflattering (I've taken much, much worse), it is me being real standing in the middle of a bridge on the 4th of July.

And not to forget the spirit of the celebration, I am thankful for freedom and those who sacrificed their lives so I could be free (this includes the sacrifice people made to serve our country and the sacrifice Jesus made to set me free on the inside). It is now nearing midnight and for some reason, our neighborhood still seems to be celebrating. I hope they stop soon so we can go to sleep!

No comments: