Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Our morning walk / Beans and Cornbread


I actually took this picture last week on our walk. We like to walk on the trails, some of which are really close to the edge so we can look directly down on the rocks and the water. Pooker has joined us again as he jogs while we walk/sniff/explore, then we meet back up to cross the street and walk back home together.

I could have caught the sunrise this morning, but I didn't take my camera with me. I need to, but I really should put it in my hip pack the night before as it is all I can do in the morning to get myself ready and to remember my cell phone and keys. I'm really not much of a morning person, nor am I much of a night person. I consider myself a day person, best between the hours of 9 am and 9 pm (although I could start to wilt as early as 8 pm). Although it is a little after noon right now, I feel like I could really use a nap.

Neither of us have been sleeping real well lately. Could be we have a lot on our minds, but we are sure missing that nice REM sleep. I'd rather wake up refreshed than wishing it was time to go to sleep again! I don't really do naps (with the exception of sometimes on Sunday afternoon) because I have a hard time sleeping during a nap when I feel like I should be doing something else. Plus, I wake up feeling like a truck has run me over and it takes some time to be fully functioning again. Doesn't seem worth the bother, especially if I do have things I need to be doing (the house can always use a good cleaning, although sometimes I wish it would take care of itself).

I've got some brown beans baking in my crockpot. I'll make cornbread and fry some potatoes later this afternoon for supper. I love eating this meal for several reasons. It is cheap. It is pretty simple. It tastes good. But mostly because it is eating a memory--of time spent at my precious Grandma's house. Noboby made brown beans and cornbread as good as she did. In my mind, this meal takes me back there to carefree days spent playing with cousins, running loose on the farm and having so much fun. And now with Grandma gone, I feel close to her by making a dish I associate so strongly with her. I'm looking forward to supper!!!

No comments: