Monday, March 16, 2009

Grandad is now in Heaven

Grandad passed away on Saturday night, so we'll be going home for the funeral this week. It has been a roller coaster of emotions for the past seven months since Grandad had triple bypass surgery and then ended up with accelerated dementia. His passing was both a relief (his little body was so wasted away and he had no quality of life) and terribly sad (I want my Grandad). I'm happy for him, yet my heart will grieve anew this week as we lay his body to rest and try to adjust to life with Grandad now physically gone. It's hard. We've lost far too many grandparents in the last four years and I can't speak for anyone else, but my heart is still grieving for the loss of the other two. It makes my last Grandma extremely precious (as if she wasn't already extremely precious). I know so many people either didn't get to know their grandparents at all or only had one or two growing up. I know I've been blessed to have all 4 for so long.

Once again, God has been so gracious to us. Instead of having Grandad waste away slowly for years in a nursing home (again, with no quality of life), he went ahead and took him to heaven. That is truly gracious (and you know that if you've had any association with the elderly and nursing homes, especially with dementia and Alzheimer's). I am overwhelmed with God's graciousness, not only to Grandad, but to us.

I'm sorry to have to do this, peeps, but I probably won't be able to blog anymore this week as I have things to do to get ready to go. I'll try to resume next week as I've got lots to show you (as usual). In the meantime, take care of yourselves and try to make it through a blogless week as best you can. (I just know I'm the highlight of some of you all's days!)

No comments: